Tuesday 22 March 2011

Adding The Masthead and Main Cover Line ...

Adding the masthead and the cover didn't take too long. First I used the magnetic lasso tool to cut around the top of my subjects head and create a new layer via copying the section I've cut around. I then made a new text layer and created my masthead, making sure it was the perfect width to fit across the top of the page. I then moved the layer I created of my subjects head in front of the text, giving the impression that the subject is in front of the masthead. This then makes it look as if he's leaning right out of the picture towards the reader which is the effect I was aiming for, so I'm very pleased!

I then set out to create my cover line. I wanted it to be big and the second main selling pint of the magazine following the image, so it needed to be bright as planned. I made the font of 'BITE' large and easy to read, making it bright red to catch the eye. I then wrote 'Introducing' in a new text layer so I can move it around separate to the rest of the cover line. I wanted it to fit around the image so I kept resizing it and moving it until it finally fitted just below the soldier to make it look as if he's looking over it. I also made it italic to look as if it's important and highlighted to, and leading up to something bigger, which in this case, is the word 'BITE'. the main challenge I faced was deciding about using the colour yellow for the word 'introducing'. It looked too over the top and dramatic with the red, it wasn't at all pleasing to the eye, so I had to change it to a more neutral but so it would still stand out. I figured using white worked perfect for my masthead, so why not the cover line? so I tried it and it worked brilliantly! Job well done!

No comments:

Post a Comment