Tuesday 29 March 2011

Contents page plan!

I've decided to take inspiration from my previous analysis of the Kerrang and Q magazines contents page whilst creating mine. I feel using more than one image worked well for both contents pages and that it made it feel like the magazine featured more, making it more exciting. I felt the use of captions for the images worked well and makes them look interesting and have added them with my images, explaining them more and heightening the curiosity. I've also made sure to include the numbers as being able to more directly to the page the feature's on is extremely handy once the audience has become visually stimulated. The images I've decided to feature will include two bands playing live, and two portrait images of band members to vary what looks like is inside between gossip, live reviews, gigs and everything else I aim for my magazine to cover.

I have decided to list my contents down one side of my page too, to make it appear tidy and eye pleasing. I found when the other magazines used it, it looked organised and easy to follow, meaning it's more enjoyable and easier for people to find what they're looking for. The heading will say 'contents' to state and exactly what it is, and similarly to the other magazines, have the issue number below. I've then used smaller headings down my list of contents to separate each section, making it even easier and more pleasing to the eye for the reader when they're looking for what they want. I've made these headings bold so they're eye catching and easy to read. I've then listed the numbers in bold so they're also easy to read, with the main line of what's on the page in a slightly smaller text to fit in and not over power itself, but so that the reader can easily see it and read it. The caption below is slightly smaller and I've used it so that the reader has more of an insight into what's actually on the page. This in turn sparks the curiosity and interest, encouraging them to look at it.

I've also decided to feature an editors letter from myself, as I feel it worked really well for Kerrang. I feel the customers will feel more connected with the magazine, as if they're in touch with the editor and will be more inclined to read it. In the letter, I will describe the magazine to them and promote it as a brilliant magazine that will hopefully cover everything my target audience will desire. I will also include a thank you for buying the magazine as it will impose that we appreciate our customers and readers, meaning they're more inclined to read. I have made in the bottom corner so that's it out the way, but with a bold title to catch the eye of anyone who will want to read.

I've used the same theme as my front cover to remain consistent, making it more pleasing to the eye, therefore, more welcoming. it looks co-ordinated, meaning it's easily recognised as the same magazine and looks a lot more organised. In order to co-ordinate it, I have stuck with the black background and bold red highlights sticking with white to neutral it out a little more. I've decided not to feature any yellow as I feel there's a lot going on amongst the page already and it may look to over the top. I've used the same form of red splodge that I created on the background to highlight my title but will make it at the end of the bold strip so it's out of the way and tidy still. I will then make the strip red with the word Novocain in black over the top so it stands out but not too much. I've decided to use white for the rest of my headings and captions, with red for the words I want to stand out and the numbers, so that the eye is drawn to them. I have used it to separate the page too, so it looks exiting. This also means that not only will the different sections be separated, but the different contexts such as images and writing will be separated too due to the colour of the decor being red, and the writing white.

I feel that rotating the images at the top of the page will be hard as it's something I haven't done before, and that separating the page equally down the list of contents will also prove tricky, but I'll definitely give it a good go, and won't stop till i succeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment